Re: Raid; mkraid /dev/md0_HELP?[solved]

> On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 10:36:46AM +0200, Frans Schreuder wrote:
> > It's solved.........
> > Just tried patching until it worked....
> > I did not have my kernel patched.........why isn't it in the
> > kernelsource???????????
>
> Because 2.2 is stable.  Because the new raid code is not completely
> interface-compatible with the code in the kernel.  And people who have
> been running a stable raid setup, ever since the early 2.2 releases,
> do not want an unexpected surprise to wreck their data.

Makes sense thanks

> Because of the incompatibilities, you'll also need a new version of the
> raidtools, raidtools2.
>
> > Please feel free to break my neck. Help others use my explanation and
fill
> > in anything that I missed or mistyped.
>
> But your keyboard may have some sticky keys, I noticed in the above.
>
> > Note:When I tried to make a debianpackage, It complained that the naming
was
> > not according to the rules(not all lowercase: 2.2.18-RAID). So I made a
> > bzImage. It is probably the patch (coming from the redhat site)
>
> get the debian package version of the patch.  It has these little things
> fixed and maybe even includes a howto-build-and-run-on-debian.

I found and installed it. But then it kept complaining about not beeing in
kernel top level directory. It didn't tell me what to do:-)
Checked for a howto. It does not have a howto, it does refer, in a seperate
textfile, to kernel-source-2.2.19/Documentation/Configure.help

> dpkg -p kernel-patch-2.2.19-raid

This is a handy command.
Guess there is more where that came from (man dpkg?)
I read your statement on dpkg a few posts back. I apt-gotten my disk full on
a update/upgrade

> Package: kernel-patch-2.2.19-raid
> Section: devel
> Installed-Size: 152