Re: Raid; mkraid /dev/md0_HELP?[solved]

On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 10:36:46AM +0200, Frans Schreuder wrote:
> It's solved.........
> Just tried patching until it worked....
> I did not have my kernel patched.........why isn't it in the
> kernelsource???????????

Because 2.2 is stable.  Because the new raid code is not completely
interface-compatible with the code in the kernel.  And people who have
been running a stable raid setup, ever since the early 2.2 releases,
do not want an unexpected surprise to wreck their data.

Because of the incompatibilities, you'll also need a new version of the
raidtools, raidtools2.

> Please feel free to break my neck. Help others use my explanation and fill
> in anything that I missed or mistyped.

But your keyboard may have some sticky keys, I noticed in the above.

> Note:When I tried to make a debianpackage, It complained that the naming was
> not according to the rules(not all lowercase: 2.2.18-RAID). So I made a
> bzImage. It is probably the patch (coming from the redhat site)

get the debian package version of the patch.  It has these little things
fixed and maybe even includes a howto-build-and-run-on-debian.

dpkg -p kernel-patch-2.2.19-raid
Package: kernel-patch-2.2.19-raid
Section: devel
Installed-Size: 152
Maintainer: Camm Maguire <camm@enhanced.com>
Architecture: all
Version: 2
Depends: bzip2, patch
Suggests: raidtools2
Filename: pool/main/k/kernel-patch-2.2.19-raid/kernel-patch-2.2.19-raid_2_all.deb
Size: 76166
MD5sum: d9168874ccf45c3eaf97f87083566afd
 This patch enables the "new" raid functionality, standard in 2.4.x kernels,
 to be used with 2.2.x kernels.  When running a kernel with this patch,
 one should install the raidtools2 Debian package, which will also facilitate
 upgrades of older raid arrays to the new structure.  New features include
 optional kernel autodetection of raid arrays at boot time, recognition of raid
 arrays when disk device names have changed, and "hot" adding and removal of
 devices to running raid arrays.  A small patch has been added to run the autodetect
 procedure when raid modules are loaded, thereby enabling initrd scripts to probe
 for and analyze filesystems on raid devices when looking for a "real" root
 filesystem.

Cheers,

Joost