Re: Time to fight for our beloved DEB format!

Am 30. Jun, 2001 schwäzte Sean 'Shaleh' Perry so:

> RPM is not inherently bad.  RH (and others) simply do not have a common
> standards set that must be followed like Debian does.  There are a few
> places where each format (rpm and deb) surpass the other.  However most of

Anyone want to summarise those or point to a summary? I'll be teaching
Debian package management at work[1] next week and I'll probably be asked
why .debs are better than .rpms.

> the perceived differences are actually in the _use_ of the system and not

Yes, the RPM package management tools have always really, really
sucked. Finally, Mandrake, SuSE and RedHat have update tools. Those for
Mandrake and SuSE don't require paid subscription as RedHat's system
does. They all have a lot to learn from Debian :). There's also RedCarpet
from Ximian, but no need for 250+ MB of GUI stuff on my servers :).

ciao,

der.hans

[1] Pure Debian on the Linux front :).

--
# der.hans@LuftHans.com home.pages.de/~lufthans/ www.DevelopOnline.com
#  Practice socially consious hedonism. Do whatever you want,