Re: Time to fight for our beloved DEB format!

On Sat, Jun 30, 2001 at 04:16:48PM -0700, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:

<snip>

> Debian is working with a group from RH and elsewhere on a interchangeable
> packaging system, but it is a ways off.

This is the real answer. LSB has compromised in a way that benefits the
most distributions. As is often the case, superior technology does not
win out on its own merits. However, the solution with the most finesse
at this point is to move RPM in the direction of DEB. And it's just
possible that in the process, even the DEB format/policy could be
improved as well.

In addition (though I don't know the full capabilities of alien) it
seems that a package management program/script could be built that
senses whether a .deb or an .rpm is being installed, and performs the
apropriate action, seamlessly and without the user knowing the
difference.

Paul