Re: menu

On Sun, Jul 01, 2001 at 05:26:03PM -0700, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
> > After adding the new options as I have done in the past for other distros, I
> > find that there has been no change to my menu options.  What is the correct
> > way to personalize my menu options?
> >

> cd /usr/share/doc/menu.  read contents.  enjoy.

The Debian menu system is definitely your friend.  However, I like a
little more control than what you can get from your .menu directory.
For example, The Debian menu system populates the menus in alphabetical
order.  That's fine for a generic system, but when I'm customizing my
environment it's nice to have more control.

In Window Maker, for example, I prefer not to have the Debian menu be
the main root menu.  Instead I create my own, based on the default
Window Maker menu.  Then I add a line somewhere in my
~/GNUstep/Library/WindowMaker/menu file:
#include "/etc/X11/WindowMaker/menu.hook"

This way I have all the Debian stuff in a sub-menu, and I have complete
control over the main menu as well as access to the Debian menus.  Note
that you'll need to update ~/GNUstep/Defaults/WMRootMenu to point to
your menu file instead of the system default.

Another nice thing I do with WindowMaker is define "XTERM" in my
wmmacros file to be the terminal emulator I'd like to use.  That way all
my menu entries that bring up terminal windows (remote logins, whatever)
bring up similar looking windows.  If I ever decide to switch from Eterm
to something else, it's just a matter of changing a single line and
restarting Window Maker.  (I do hope that all terminal emulators will
continue to support -e they way most currently seem to.)

I just figured I'd share a couple tips for customizing your environment.
I'm sure there are other ways to do what I do, and I'm sure other people
have neat things they do to make their interface more useful.

noah