Re: OT : Monitor dying?

On Sat, Jun 30, 2001 at 12:50:29PM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> Lamer writes:
> > I suggest that he should get a replacement soon.
>
> Or get the one he has cleaned.  It's possible that dust is absorbing
> moisture and loading down the high voltage.

warning:

  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

  *  DO NOT OPEN UP YOUR MONITOR EVER UNLESS YOU WANT TO DIE  *

  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

There are dangerous voltages inside.  10.000s of Volts.  The charge on
a monitor tube does not go away when you turn off the monitor.  It will
stay there, until you are stupid enough to touch it.  Or until it wears
off, veeery slooowly.

Don't open up any monitors that have not been unplugged and locked in
a case that only you have the key to, for at least a week.

I might be exaggerating a day or two, but in cases where people's lives
are at stake, it is never a bad thing to err on the safe side.

Stay on the safe side, do not open up any equipment containing a crt tube.
And it is not just the tube that is under high voltage.

Having said the important bits, now for some trivia:

If moisture can make this big a difference in the tuning of a monitor,
it is positively malfunctioning and likely about to break down fully.

If it starts a fire and your fire insurance company finds out that you
have been aware of the problems for a while, but did nothing about it,
other than posting about it to the internet, they may even blame you for
not being sensible and replacing the obviously malfunctioning equipment.

Cheers,

Joost