Re: woody/linux 2.4/raid/athlon/almost a horror story

> On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 11:58:45PM -0700,

> 1309 is odd as well, and a typo probably, too.  :-)

well thats what cat /proc/cpuinfo shows :)

> If you can clock your system busses down, stretch memory timings
> and reduce the cpu speed, you might want to try that and see if you
> can boot with "init=/bin/sh".

oddly enough my TYAN motherboard has no way of adjusting
anything other then 100/133mhz bus speed. my system IS
running at 104mhz bus speed(!) and theres nothing i can
do. i emailed tyan tech support last sunday and am
awaiting an explanation.

> That way, it will not attempt to
> fsck and mount your filesystems readwriteable, just boot the kernel
> and give you a shell.

yeah i could try that, e2fsck was the only program i ran
during that test boot, but im betting most everything
else will cause the same error. do you have an athlon?
do you run it with the athlon optimizations? maybe
its a kernel bug..i read kernel traffic and have
never heard of the athlon optimizations cpu option

> Alternatively, prepare a memtest86 bootdisk and boot from it.  You
> may need to leave it running for hours and hours.

with my previous MB (same ram, same cpu) i did this because
of my problems. i ran memtest86 for 124 hours 30 minutes
without a single error reported.

> you may try to overclock your busses, memory and cpu just a little
> and run memtest again.

not sure if i can do that..hardly any options for memory speed
on my MB.

> Too bad that memtest cannot generate heavy
> io on peripheral devices while running its tests.  Heavy device
> activity can severely affect power supply quality, reflecting in
> turn on the reliability of the mainboard chipset and busses.

yeah i intentionally got a bigger power supply then AMD
reccomended(450 watts, Turbocool - top of theline) to
rule that out as a problem.

> That sounds a lot like the optimized-for-athlon memcopy
> instructions are asking too much from your system.  Ppro

maybe.....

> You already fried a motherboard in this machine?  I'm not really
>surprised even, noticing the list below.

haven't fried one. the previous board i just believe could
not support the 1.3ghz properly. A7A266(Asus). i got complete
and instantaneous filesystem corruption using it. never
seen an issue like it before:

partition a disk
format it(mke2fs)
mount it
unmount it right away(without creating any files)
e2fsck it
see tons of errors all over the place
(repeat)

when i was using this MB i ran memtest86(as noted above)
for 124 hours(while i waited to install the tyan) and i
also ran IBM's drive fitness test for 2 days straight on
both drives, no failures anywhere.

> Consider replacing your
>power supply too.  A faulty one can wreak havoc, while you are
>suspecting all the devices that break down due to the out of spec
>supply.  Even the best manufacturers have monday mornings, too.

i think the hardware is fine. its been running a week on
2.2.19 ive been stressing the opengl, upping system load to
10 for days on end running distributed.net, and running
bonnie++ copying gigs and gigs of data to the filesystems to
stress the I/O out ...not a single hint of an error.

again my power supply is a Power PC & Cooling Turbo
Cool 450 ATX.

specs are here:
http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/power_supplies/highperformance/turbocools/index_hp_450_atx.htm

cost more then the athlon itself(about $220) so i expect it
to be top quality. ive been using turbo cool power supplies
(of the 300watt variety) for a couple years now and they
give out rock solid voltage.

> Are you in California?

used to be..now in washington(since april 2000)

thanks for the reply!!

nate