Re: tar on nfs freezes

On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 10:28:17PM +0200, Joerg Johannes wrote:
> My friend just bought a new HD, and wanted to throw out the old one. So
> what we did was
> - mount an nfs directory from my server (/nfsroot)
> - tar cplf - /root | (cd /nfsroot && tar xpf)
> - threw the HD out
> - started rescue system, partitioned, made filesystems
> - mounted /nfsroot and /newroot (on the new HD)
> - tar cplf - /nfsroot | (cd /newroot && tar xpf)
> during the last step, his machine freezes (it's SuSE and SuSE kernel
> with reiserfs), mine, the server, does not

Do your and his machine have different types of network cards?  Sometimes
these problems are caused by buggy kernel drivers.  A raw tar stream
may be hitting the network card harder than cp -a does.

Also, IIRC reiserfs + nfs may need some recent patches...

> So, why could that be? (jumpers on the hd are all ok, one partition is a
> windows one, and windows works, too)

The freeze needs not be related to the disk.

Question, why didn't your friend put in the second disk, boot up from
the old disk, partition new disk, mke2fs new partitions, mount them,
"tar | tar" or "cp -a" old => new, shutdown, replace old disk with new,
boot from rescue floppy, specifying the new root partition name as a
kernel boot option, run lilo on the new disk?

Cheers,

Joost