tar on nfs freezes

Hello list

My friend just bought a new HD, and wanted to throw out the old one. So
what we did was
- mount an nfs directory from my server (/nfsroot)
- tar cplf - /root | (cd /nfsroot && tar xpf)
- threw the HD out
- started rescue system, partitioned, made filesystems
- mounted /nfsroot and /newroot (on the new HD)
- tar cplf - /nfsroot | (cd /newroot && tar xpf)
during the last step, his machine freezes (it's SuSE and SuSE kernel
with reiserfs), mine, the server, does not

So, why could that be? (jumpers on the hd are all ok, one partition is a
windows one, and windows works, too)

thanks

joerg