Re: Why is setting up X so arcane?

In article <[🔎] 200106281943.PAA13098@salt.office.aol.com>, David L. Craig
wrote:
> Is there anything in /var/log/XFree86.0.log?  If so, please post it,
> along with your XF86Config[-4] file.

nikki@pentium:/var/home/nikki$ cat /var/log/XFree86.0.log
cat: /var/log/XFree86.0.log: No such file or directory
nikki@pentium:/var/home/nikki$ ls /var/log
apache      exim           lastlog    mail.info  mysql.log  user.log
apache-ssl  faillog        linuxconf  mail.log   news       uucp
auth.log    installer.log  lp-acct    mail.warn  nmb        uucp.log
daemon.log  jserv.log      lp-errs    mailman    smb        wdm.log
debug       kern.log       lpr.log    messages   sympa.log  wtmp
dmesg       ksymoops       mail.err   mysql.err  syslog     xdm.log

wdm.log contains the stderr output from X, part of which I already
posted - want to see more?

> So you been using UNIX since 86.  Have you used any PC flavors?

Xenix (I told you it was a long time ago) and SCO Unix. Plus Solaris,
AIX and System V. ALthough not a full-time sysadmin on any of these
boxes, I did install and configure most of them. I am reasonably
familiar with configuration, but I'm having real trouble with X (with
which I have no experience).

--
Nikki Locke, Trumphurst Ltd.      PC & Unix consultancy & programming
nikki@trumphurst.com            http://www.trumphurst.com/