Re: Why is setting up X so arcane?

Paul D. Smith wrote:

%% Nikki Locke <nikki@trumphurst.com> writes:

  nl> Good. Is it worth me "upgrading" to another version? The machine
  nl> is there mostly to run samba, apache, apache-ssl and php4. I need
  nl> a solid, stable ftp client which will work through a gateway, and
  nl> the ability to ssh in from other machines on the network.

If that's all you need, why install X at all?

I don't have it on my firewall system, which does basically just exactly
what yours is doing.

Of course, this doesn't address your question directly.

Bu ta very important issue, since running X (or anything you don't need) on a server i sa potential security risc.

Frank