NFS woes :(

Hi all

I've just put Debian 2.2r3[1] on my work box (alongside Mandrake 7.1) and
I'm getting

nfs bindresvport: Permission denied

when trying to mount some NFS shares from our AS/400s. This works fine
if I boot back into Mandrake, and the NFS server on the AS/400 is
running fine. A

showmount -e dev1

does list all the available shares, so I'm assuming it's something I've
done (or more likely not done) on the client side that's causing me
grief. Including the verbose option to mount doesn't give any more
output, and I can't find anything in the logs to indicate a problem.
Running mount in with -f happily reports
dev1:/it on /mnt/dev1/it type nfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)

One slight complication is that the AS/400's implementation of NFS
(version 2) at OS/400 V4R4[2] or below only accepts a UDP connection.
Recent versions of mount are TCP based (so I'm told), and won't work. The
workaround is to use an older version - in my case I've been using the
Mandrake 7.0 mount command successfully (on 7.1, that is). In case there
is some issue with that, does anyone have a Slink mount binary I could
try (I think it needs to be pre 2.10).

Any ideas or suggestions of where else to look appreciated.

Regards, Martin

[1] dist-upgraded to sid - it's my desktop box rather than a production
server :)
[2] Which is what we're running - it's fixed at V4R5, but we won't be
upgrading anytime soon :(
--
martin@dbg400.net / jamaro@firstlinux.net
http://www.dbg400.net  DBG/400 - DataBase Generation utilities