Unable to find modem.

Hi,
    I downloaded the Debian Potato floppies and was going to install Debian
over PPP.  However, my modem is not found.  It found it on Red Hat, then it
quit working on Red Hat.  I am in Windoze now, so I know it works cause I
dialed into my ISP with it.  It's COM2 under DOS and ttyS1 under Linux.  It
has worked since Red Hat 4.2, but then, I goto Red Hat 7.0-respin, and it
doesn't work.
    I tried to install Potato once before the modem worked fine.  What's
wierd is it works under Windows and not Linux.  What now?  :-(

Regards,
Patrick