Re: Java and flash plugin for Mozilla

On Wed, 27 Jun 2001 15:39:15 +0200
Alex Suzuki <asuzuki@bluewin.ch> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 09:41:57AM -0300, Christoph Simon wrote:
> > That's what I did: Because of a comment I read in debian-user, I
> > started Mozilla first as root (giving myself the permisions) and
> > visited a site I knew is using java. Then I just had to follow the
> > dialog boxes. and voilà! Now it's working also for a normal user---up
> > to the point that java is not crashing. If it weren't for the bank, I
> > wouldn't want to install it.
>
> Hmm... I'm trying to do the same here, with the 0.9.1 packages from
> unstable/non-us. I start Mozilla as root, and the Java 2 plugin
> (I visit java.sun.com) seems to install fine (it says so in the
> browser window).

That's the reason why I didn't download java manually. It turns out,
that Mozilla considers java to be a plug-in and takes it from
netscape's site automagically. I wasn't able to do anything remotely
useful in a browser with any of the famous java implementations
neither for Netscape, Mozilla nor for StarOffice. (Java from sun's
site certainly crashes StarOffice quite badly).

> However, when I then close Mozilla, it is unable
> to start. It says that some kind of installation is in progress,
> I have to restart. It comes again and again.
> I saw in one of the replies that there was an xpicleanup process
> running, however, this is not the case on my machine. There is
> no xpicleanup process running, so none to kill. I even rebooted
> the machine once, but it still wouldn't start. I then removed
> the xpicleanup.dat file, then it starts.

There was another message today (don't remember in which list) talking
about that. It seems that, just after installation, there is some
similarly named process still running, which would have to be
killed. But I myself also deleted just this file.

> But then Java doesn't work, it prompts me again for installation
> when I visit a Java site, despite some java stuff lying in
> /usr/lib/mozilla-0.9.1. It also doesn't show up when I type
> about:plugins as URL. Frustrated, I then delete /usr/lib/mozilla-0.9.1,
> and copy back an old one.

If it prompts for installation, choose the automatic way. It'll bring
you to netscape's site. This works for me so far.

--
Christoph Simon
datageo@terra.com.br
---