Re: SOLVED: Defaulting system to mono display

I needed to deactivate any colors on my mono-terminal (mda
textmode-card). The main point is to set

TERM=linux-m

when working locally. Grepping /etc for TERM I found

#TTYTYPE_FILE=/etc/ttytype

in /etc/login.defs. I did as noted there (created /etc/ttytype and
uncommented the ttytype-line but with no effect, so I inserted

TERM=linux-m

into /etc/environment and am happy.

[...]
> > Again:
> > 	How do i tell my system that the _textmode console_ is
> > 	black/white?
>
> Don't know for sure, but I'd start looking at the terminal
> configuration.  Looking at the terminfo database,

And that did it. Thanks, Karsten!

--
Karsten Heymann                      <karsten.heymann@gmx.de>
Netzwerkverwaltung              <karsten@ecology.uni-kiel.de>