Re: Defaulting system to mono display

on Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 10:04:43AM +0200, Karsten Heymann (karsten.heymann@gmx.de) wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 08:38:43PM -0700 or thereabouts, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > on Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 02:36:55AM +0200, Karsten Heymann (karsten.heymann@gmx.de) wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> > Hi, Karsten:
>
> Hi :)
>
> >[...]
> >     $ startx -- -depth 1
> > Many applications/environments dither rather heavily when run in
> > monochrome mode, results may vary.
>
> I'm sorry to be misunderstanding, but i meant a mono console. A mda
> (momschrome display adaptor) isn't even able to display *any*
> graphics[1].
> This is also very different from a monochrome vga monitor, which renders
> 64 greys, an mda shows only gray, white and underlined. I need something
> like pine's default, invert the active item - but i want also
> the colors on termninals that support it.

Ah.  That changes things.

> Again:
> 	How do i tell my system that the _textmode console_ is
> 	black/white?

Don't know for sure, but I'd start looking at the terminal
configuration.  Looking at the terminfo database,

    $ ls /usr/share/terminfo/*/*mono*

Produces:

    /usr/share/terminfo/a/ansi80x25-mono
    /usr/share/terminfo/a/ansi80x30-mono
    /usr/share/terminfo/a/ansi80x43-mono
    /usr/share/terminfo/a/ansi80x50-mono
    /usr/share/terminfo/a/ansi80x60-mono
    /usr/share/terminfo/a/ansil-mono
    /usr/share/terminfo/a/ansi-mono
    /usr/share/terminfo/a/ansis-mono
    /usr/share/terminfo/b/bsdos-pc-mono
    /usr/share/terminfo/i/ibmmono
    /usr/share/terminfo/i/ibmpc3r-mono
    /usr/share/terminfo/m/mono-emx
    /usr/share/terminfo/p/pcansi-mono
    /usr/share/terminfo/q/qnxtmono
    /usr/share/terminfo/x/xterm-mono

...one or more of which might provide what you're looking for.

> Tia,
>
> Karsten
>
> [1] ... which was the gread advantage of the hercules card: There you
>     could use a 720x368 black/white graphics mode (I'll never forget
>     that numbers!)

   Are these opinions my employer's?  Hah!  I don't believe them myself!