Re: Defaulting system to mono display

On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 08:38:43PM -0700 or thereabouts, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 02:36:55AM +0200, Karsten Heymann (karsten.heymann@gmx.de) wrote:
> [...]
>
> Hi, Karsten:

Hi :)

>[...]
>     $ startx -- -depth 1
> Many applications/environments dither rather heavily when run in
> monochrome mode, results may vary.

I'm sorry to be misunderstanding, but i meant a mono console. A mda
(momschrome display adaptor) isn't even able to display *any*
graphics[1].
This is also very different from a monochrome vga monitor, which renders
64 greys, an mda shows only gray, white and underlined. I need something
like pine's default, invert the active item - but i want also
the colors on termninals that support it.

Again:
	How do i tell my system that the _textmode console_ is
	black/white?

Tia,

Karsten

[1] ... which was the gread advantage of the hercules card: There you
    could use a 720x368 black/white graphics mode (I'll never forget
    that numbers!)

--
Karsten Heymann                      <karsten.heymann@gmx.de>
Netzwerkverwaltung              <karsten@ecology.uni-kiel.de>