Re: cd-rom "medium not found", no modules load

At 09:40 AM 6/24/01 -0700, you wrote:
>I believe its because you need to use "scsi" for your devices when trying
to use
>'any' cd-rw..
>to do that your kernel needs scsi-emulation in it....which the newer 2.4.5
>pre-configured all set to go..
>
>otherwise you'd need to do it yorself....if you can't/don't want to use 2.4.5
>then you need re-do kernel and make sure to say Y to  scsi-emulation, scsi
disk,
>scsi tape, scsi-generic --not sure on that can't recall i'm inwindows at
moment)
>and make sure you say "N" to atapi for cdrom ....

Is 2.4.5 the latest version of the kernel or something else? Where can I
download it?

I started an install last night, got as far as reboot before it lost the cd.
On the ~Enter device Name~ screen, the system does read the cd (closes
cd-tray after I press enter and reads), but does not change

The debug logs show entries like
"disk changed noticed at ide0(3,64)

These don't work:
boot: linux ide-scsi=hdb
boot: linux hdb=cdrom

And it could be a Master Boot Record. The win98 cd doesn't auto-start, but
the Tyan (motherboard) device cd does. This a.m. the Debian 2.2R3 B1 cd
boots. Running Fdisk /mbr in dos brought no visible change

Suggestions appreciated/st