Re: [users] Re: An *idea* that *might* put Debian on top (?)

On Sun, Jun 24, 2001 at 11:07:24PM -0400, Jonathan D. Proulx wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 24, 2001 at 06:42:39PM -0700, Jack Pryne wrote:
>
> :machine take care of itself, without ever having to worry about missing
> :DLL's, or corrupt registry files. That's the whole idea behind this proposed
> :system.
>
> Though I take your point, I encourage you to get Debian up and running
> so you can see for yourself what types of configuration issues there
> are.
>
> There is nothing even analogous to registry corruption in an Un*x like
> system.  And through Debian's wonderful package/dependency management
> system you're never missing shared libraries (the analog to a DLL).
>
> Actually once you have a basic system installed (which can be tricky),
> managing it can be as braindead as you want.  run "gnome-apt" two
> clicks to update evrything you have installed to the latest revision,
> run a search on available packages pick the new shiny whizbang app you
> want, it'll grab whatever else you need to make it work.

 You are missing the point, installing software and it's dependencies is
 one hurdle debian has cleared. But there is much more than that. There
 is getting your video card working, your monitor sync set right, your
 sound and peripherals working correctly. Things that I know can be very
 difficult to an average to new user of linux. I have installed debian
 countless times, as well as other distro's and I know for sure that
 debian has close to the worst hardware detection around, this does not
 phase me because I can manage to get things working and once they are,
 debian is a breeze.

 From your post you seem to be under the idea that there is nothing
 to impove with debian because of apt-get.