Re: [users] Re: An *idea* that *might* put Debian on top (?)

On Sun, Jun 24, 2001 at 06:42:39PM -0700, Jack Pryne wrote:

:machine take care of itself, without ever having to worry about missing
:DLL's, or corrupt registry files. That's the whole idea behind this proposed
:system.

Though I take your point, I encourage you to get Debian up and running
so you can see for yourself what types of configuration issues there
are.

There is nothing even analogous to registry corruption in an Un*x like
system.  And through Debian's wonderful package/dependency management
system you're never missing shared libraries (the analog to a DLL).

Actually once you have a basic system installed (which can be tricky),
managing it can be as braindead as you want.  run "gnome-apt" two
clicks to update evrything you have installed to the latest revision,
run a search on available packages pick the new shiny whizbang app you
want, it'll grab whatever else you need to make it work.

-Jon