RE: big IBM harddisk

>Hi,

>I purchased a new 40 G IBM harddisk.

>My box is an old 100 MHz Pentium, with slot 5.

>The problem is that the motherboard doesn't understand the harddisk >at
>all.

>The IBM own (DOS) program, which is supposed to help to fix the >problem
>doesn't help. Even if I boot the box using that IBM setfix program, >the
>motherboard doesn't find the new harddisk at all.

I installed a 40Gb Western Digital hard drive over the weekend into my PII
300 machine as a second drive.  My BIOS didn't recognise it, but Debian did.
Have you tried installing it as a second drive?  Of course, if you want to
be able to boot from it, the BIOS will need to know about it.  Check dmesg
output to see if it comes up as a device.

- Chris

This electronic mail is intended for the use of the addressee only. If you receive this electronic mail in error, please delete it immediately. It may also contain confidential information. You may not use or disclose any confidential information.

The statements or views expressed in this electronic mail are those of the individual sender and are not those of AAP Information Services Pty Ltd (AAP). These statements are not binding on AAP, except where the sender expressly and with authority, states them to be.

AAP is unable to review the contents of all of the electronic mail on its system. To the extent permitted by law, AAP disclaims all liability for any loss or damage caused by the contents of this electronic mail.