Re: Mount windows drive within another machine (network)

On Sun, Jun 24, 2001 at 11:44:42PM +0300, Michael Schmidt wrote:
> This can be done using mount. I am not sure how secure this is. It doesn't
> seem very secure since the username and password are listed, maybe there is a
> better way.
>
> mount -t smbfs -o
> username=REMOTE_USERNAME,password=REMOTE_PASSWORD,uid=LOCAL_USERNAME,gid=LOCAL_GROUP,
> workgroup=WINDOWS_WORKGROUP //REMOTE_COMPUTER_NAME/SHARE /mnt/d

Obviously, this is a very bad idea considering that it'll stay in your shell
history. You can just leave out the password option and the server will
prompt you for the password. This makes it harder to automate, but it's
better than leaving it in there.

Steve