Re: An *idea* that *might* put Debian on top (?)

> Personally I decided on Debian after trying Suse and Red Hat first.

Same here.....

> However, I've been following the Linux distro rankings in one computer
> magazine (CHIP, Germany), and Debian is rated lowest amongst 7 others.
> I think this is mainly due to lacking "user guidance" during setup and
> package installation. I've not installed potato from scratch myself,
> but I guess those ratings are based on potato.
>
> What is the general opinion?
> That Debian is not for users who cannot deal with it the way
> setup/maintenance is designed now, or that it is a goal to also include
> users unfamiliar with the command line someday?
> I believe Suse and Mandrake are following the latter path?

to do less IMHO is bad marketing....its 'nice' to have a power system for power
users..and maybe the intention wasn't/isn't to gain complete dominance of the
desktop for 'average' user market......but hey why not its certainly worthy
which is why I switched a few years ago ( from windows for many reasons )..

I don't know if its a combo of using 2.4.5/debian/non-ximian but i've noticed
speed increases in programs that before ( mozilla is prob worst offender ) were
so clunky ( at time running RH7.1 where i noticed much less speed in that app )
that they were ludicrous......j

Lee
-===