Linux distribution.

So, strictly out of curiosity (could a $6.00 set of CD's really give you a
decent OS?), I installed Debian potato (2.2r3) a month ago on my home
machine following the instructions at www.debian.org and at linux.com
(http://Linux.com/learn/installguide/debian).  I have to say I was
pleasantly surprised that things worked out as advertised--for the basic
installation.  Got X and Gnome running, even.

I soon realized that printers, sound cards, modems, and digitizing pads are
not considered crucial parts of the system (at least for these installation
guides).   Took me a while to figure out how to get these working, but I
eventually found the info I needed on the Internet.   Someone who was less
persistent than I was wouldn't have done it, I don't think.  And judging
from the messages on this list, these peripherals cause more problems than
anything else.

So--my experience is that the installation of a basic working Debian system
is not too hard.  Configuring peripherals is hard!

BTW, is comparing OS's on their ease of installation useful outside the
Linux world?  I don't think many users of Windows have ever installed the
OS.

Now back to lurking--

Mark Garland
Tallahassee, Florida