Re: Logging Init output?

On Sat, Jun 23, 2001 at 12:06:27AM +0200, Joost Kooij wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 22, 2001 at 10:52:03PM +0200, Mart van de Wege wrote:
> > I was actually being ironic when I mentioned my 'scant' knowledge. At
>
> That's okay, because there are many subscribers to debian-user and some
> of them appreciate an answer that does more than reply to strictly the
> question asked.  That way, just by reading posts by others, I learnt a
> lot myself and I enjoyed it.  When I post, people can correct me if I'm
> wrong about something, which is good because people tend to be a lot more
> forgiving than computers.
>
> > least I am happy to report that I know how init works, but I am still a
> > little wary of fooling with shell scripting of any sort. Funny thing is
> > that I *do* understand moderately complex Perl a lot better. Am I weird or
> > not?
>
> Yes, definately.  Just go and bash ahead at those shell scripts.  What can
> go really wrong here?  Just don't do it on your company's database server.
> Wait, did you mention "weird"? ;-)

</lurk>

okay, here's another thought--

	# apt-get install bsdutils

	# cd /etc/init.d
	# mv rc rc.real
	# touch rc
	# chmod +x rc
	# vi rc

and in the new rc, put something like

	#!/bin/sh
	script /etc/init.d/rc.startup.LOG <<EOF
	/etc/init.d/rc.real $@
	EOF
	echo "Remember to look at /etc/init.d/rc.startup.LOG, okay?"

and then when you're through with all that nonsense, do

	# cd /etc/init.d
	# mv rc.real rc

note -- this code is untested and is bound to cause cavities and
hair loss.  caveat debianista.

--
DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #54 from Will Trillich <will@serensoft.com>
: