Re: DSelect

On Sat, 23 Jun 2001 17:30:05 EDT, Kevin Stokes wrote:

>   I've got a newbie problem with DSelect.   When I choose 'Select' browse
> the packages, there are about 100 things selected to be installed that are
> not currently installed, and I don't want.   When I try to press the '-' key
> to not select them, many of them give me crap about dependencies.  It would
> take me hours to go through them all.   My number one priority is to not
> screw up my system.   How can I clear the whole list to the machine's
> current install state so I can select only the one tiny package I want?
>
>   In the end I used apt-get to get what I wanted.   But I won't be able to
> use DSelect until I figure this out.  Any help would be appreciated.

Dselect tends to be a little troublesome about "reccomends" and
"suggests".  I'd reccomend that you use aptitude to browse the package
list, as I've had fewer problems with dependancy tie-ups than I've had
with dselect.

I've never really liked dselect because of the way it handles "suggests"
but there are some who prefer it.

-ptw

--
Paul T. Wright <paul@cvanet.com>