Re: What is state of package installed despite dependencies?

On Sat, Jun 23, 2001 at 12:29:12AM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> I tried a brute force approach to getting the unstable package for
> gtoaster; I downloaded the deb and did a dpkg -i.  I figured if there
> were missing prerequisites, it would not install.

Let me guess, you have considerable experience running Red Hat Linux?

Is doesn't have to be like this with Debian.  Use dselect, it fits
all your purposes.  If dselect will not let you install some package,
it is either not advisable from a perspective of system consistentcy,
or you haven't set up the prerequisites incompletely.

What you want is quite simple, just make the packages list that has
the version of gtoaster that you are interested in available to
dselect.  If you do not want to upgrade anything that you are not
forced to by dpkg/dselect, it is wise to put all your packages on
hold before anything else.  Then update the packages list, then
reselect the package you are interested in and all other packages
that are pulled along because of dependency relations.  Then run
install.  Presto.

In a couple of other recent posts to debian-user, I explained this
along with many details of the full procedure.  Maybe you want to
look into those first.  They should be on the mailing list web
archive pages as well.

> I got lots of errors about missing files of the appropriate version,
> but I seem to be running the new code when I start gtoaster.
>
> Can anyone tell me what state things are in?  Specifically, do I need
> to remove the current install and then reinstall the woody-appropriate
> package?

  dpkg --audit

> Here's my terminal transcript.  When I ran gtoaster the new version
> started up with a panel telling me about its new abilities and some
> modifications it was making to other files.

Not commenting any more.  Use dselect.  You'll be delighted, and even
much more so if you also take the time and effort to rtfm some of the
dselect docs.  It's a power tool.  It's like a 500 Watt power drill,
that can both hammer through inches of concrete as well as gently
and nearly effortlessly drive a screw in the wall.

Cheers,

Joost