Re: Dual processor PIII 866 versus single Pentium 1.4Ghz

Hi,

> Vector wrote:
> > For multiprocessor support, intel is not as horrid as you proclaim it
> > be.  No question, AMD rocks.  But there are not many (any at all?) dual
> > cpu boards out there and the support for more than one processor with
AMD
> > is still quite immature.  For mid-range and up servers, multiple CPU's
can
> > be a big win and intell is still the best choice for that type of
> > solution.  I'm quite pleased that AMD has pulled ahead with a faster
bus I
> > anxiously await a solid dual AMD cpu solution.  As soon as comes along
> > will no doubt convert all my multiprocessor intell systems to AMD.
>
> Tyan has released a dual Athlon motherboard.  According to Pricewatch you
> can get the board with *two* 1.2 GHz Athlon MP CPU's for just over
1000USD.
> The motherboard has onboard Ultra 160 SCSI (Adaptec AIC-7899W) controller
> and dual onboard Ethernet controllers (3Com 3C920's).  Full specs at
> http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thunderk7.html
>
> I'm saving up. :)

<dribble>

Bang goes Mr Loan!!!!

Seriously speaking though, I'm waiting till these have been around for at
least 6 months before I even consider going near them.  I dont think their
SMP implementation is mature enough to be considered as "proven".  Good
luck to them though - I'm having one if people give decent reviews.

I notice that the board doesnt have a single VIA chip on it though, so it
might actually work properly!!!  Thats the main thing thats stopped me
switching to AMD: VIA.

- Chris.