Re: apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

Am 19. Jun, 2001 schwäzte thomas so:

> hi,
>

> i want to run the above as a cron job (like many do i guess). but
> sometimes apt-get asks me if i want to replace the configuration files,
> and i always answer N. but the only option with apt-get is -y, which will
> probably (i havent tried it out) replace the my config files with the
> default ones. what can i do ?

If there were any answers to this I missed them :).

I did

apt-get update
apt-get -y -q dist-upgrade

I set that up on my firewall over a year ago and haven't had any probs.
Actually, though, it's in a wrapper that only gets security updates. I do
dist-upgrades interactively.

I was gonna use this to set up boxen for my grandmas, but haven't taken the
time to verify it works properly, e.g. verify it's OK before you use it :).

This, however, doesn't preserve your config files as you've asked :(.

You could use -s to simulate, then grep for changing config files. No config
files get touched, then do the update. If config files get changed cron
mails you and you take care of it by hand. Probably the way it should go
anyway. Doesn't completely give you what you want, but gives you much of it.

That will also download the debs for you, so when you dist-upgrade by
hand, they'll go in pretty quick.

You could also add a --preserve-configs option to apt-get that overrides
--assume-yes ;-).

ciao,

der.hans
--
# der.hans@LuftHans.com home.pages.de/~lufthans/ www.DevelopOnline.com
#  When I work, I work hard. When I play, I play hard.