Re: [users] Re: oldtimer pc

On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 11:03:38PM +0200, MaD dUCK wrote:
> also sprach Nathan E Norman (on Wed, 20 Jun 2001 03:38:47PM -0500):
> > Either kernel should be fine, though you should really get more ram.
> > A router in 8 MB ican get ugly :)  I've run 16 MB in my router and was
> > happier with 32 (my router is a 486/25 old timer with 2 3c509b :)  I'm
> > running 2.2.19 ATM since netfilter had some issues up to 2.4 3 IIRC.
>
> the machine is using SIMM's. eight slots, eight SIMMs = 8Mb :)
> i doubt that i could even find any more of these antique pieces.
>
> but yes, i have had that concern before. a lot of swap :)

Go to state or university auctions.  Check with IT departments at
schools.  There are plenty of simms out there you can get for next to or
almost nothing.  The trick is getting the right match.  I picked up
several identical 486's at a state auction for $5.00 apiece
(complete systems) and then swapped memory around as I saw fit.
Just a thought or two.
kent

--
 From seeing and seeing the seeing has become so exhausted