Re: [users] Re: oldtimer pc

	Subject: Re: [users] Re: oldtimer pc
	Date: Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 11:03:38PM +0200

Quoting MaD dUCK(madduck@madduck.net):
> also sprach Nathan E Norman (on Wed, 20 Jun 2001 03:38:47PM -0500):
> > Either kernel should be fine, though you should really get more ram.
> > A router in 8 MB ican get ugly :)  I've run 16 MB in my router and was
> > happier with 32 (my router is a 486/25 old timer with 2 3c509b :)  I'm
> > running 2.2.19 ATM since netfilter had some issues up to 2.4 3 IIRC.
>
> the machine is using SIMM's. eight slots, eight SIMMs = 8Mb :)
> i doubt that i could even find any more of these antique pieces.
>
> but yes, i have had that concern before. a lot of swap :)

I am looking to do the same thing as you are, and have the same
problem with the ram issue.  I heard that there used to be something
called a 'stacker' card that allowed 4ea 1 Meg 30 pin simms to be used
in each of the memory slots.  If I could find a source for those
puppies you, and I, could runnm with 32 Meg of ram and have no worries
at all.

In regard to the 'Cheap" Nic's failing:  I have run real cheap $5-$10
Ne2K clones for 4 years on my network and have yet to have one fail.
2 of them have run 24/7 for 2 years.

Of course, now that I have said that, my good fortune will most likely
change.  :-(

--
As far as we know, our computer has never had an undetected error.
                -- Weisert