Initialization error: X server not responding

I have installed Debian GNU/Linux from

deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
deb http://kde.tdyc.com/ stable kde2
deb http://ftp1.sourceforge.net/pub/mirrors/kde/stable/latest/distribution/deb stable main

on a IBM laptop Thinkpad600E and I am using the KDE desktop environment.

I can access all resources on the network, people can log into my laptop, export their
DISPLAY and run their X applications and everything works fine.

What I cannot do, however, is to telnet another machine, export my DISPLAY
and start any X application (after having xhost(ed) + the machine I connect to,
of course). In this case I get, e.g.,

$ emacs
Initialization error: X server not responding
: "lt28.pik-potsdam.de:0.0"
$

Do you know how to fix this problem ? My /etc/X11/Xserver file is

/usr/bin/X11/XF86_SVGA
Console

The first line in this file is the full pathname of the default X server.
The second line shows who is allowed to run the X server:
RootOnly
Console      (anyone whose controlling tty is on the console)
Anybody

I have tried to replace Console with Anybody but the problem persists.

best regards,
Nicola

--
Nicola Botta, Data & Computation
Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research (PIK)