Re: dhcp-client

On Tuesday 19 June 2001 05:58, Mike Pfleger spoke wisely:
> Hello.
>
> I've upgraded two partitions from Debian potato (well, Storm, actually) to
> testing, and have installed dhcp-client for net access through my firewall.
> I can ping my firewall, and verify the eth0 to firewall traffic via the
> LEDs on my switch.  I can't however, reach anything past the firewall.  No
> net activity on the gkrellm LEDs, or the LEDs in the switch during pings to
> any outside IP addresses, ping just reports the network as unreachable.
>
> I'm sending this email from the same machine, via another install.  This
> installation is on a second removable HDD.  Thus, the hardware and firewall
> can be ruled out at culprits, as can Shaw.  I seem to remember getting a
> prompt for configuring netbase, where I had to enter a "local" IP address
> range, with the default being:
>   127.0.0.0/8
> In a fit of brilliance, I entered:
>   192.168.1.0/24
> And I strongly suspect that had something to do with my current grief.
>
> So... the questions for all you networking gods/goddesses are:
> - What file(s) should I be considering as culprits for the lack of
> connectivity?
> - Does anyone know, offhand, where the above IP address range values have
> been stored?
> - What is the recommended course of action?
>
> I'm trying to move away from pump, which I am using on this install.
>
> Thanks in advance,

Hello,

i think the 127.0.0.1/8 is stored in /etc/network/spoof-protect. I suggest to
you looking in this file and setting the right values for all configuration
options. For me the file looks like this:

LOCAL_IPS="127.0.0.1/8"
LOCAL_IFACES="eth0 eth1 ppp0"

If you only have one network card and no other connection (like ISDN or
something, you can remove the eth1 and ppp0 thing in LOCAL_IFACES.

Look in /etc/network/interfaces too for wrong settings. Normally there is one
loopback and one eth interface entry.

After changing these files to the right values, do a /etc/init.d/networking
restart to reconfigure your interfaces.

Hope that helps,

Daniel