Re: PPP - On Demand Dialing / timeouts

    Hello Nico,

I also use the demend dialing. Since we are both stuck with dialup, we have
to play the waiting game. I did find some tips/tricks to help and that was to
ask the modem to speed-dial instead of slow-dial my ISP. I didn't use bind to
begin with, then later installed it and decided it didn't help with my
wants/needs and removed it, and that broke part of my system, so keep it
installed! :)

Next, You can change the settings on clients 'network time out'. I also ask
users on my lan to start ICQ first, *then* check mail, or smirf the net,
whatever. Fortunately, I'm down to a single win98 box, and all others are
debian (wahoo). .

I found that I can kill the modem noise with 'm0', and another kind soul on
this list sent me the speed dial command 's11=50'. So if you pull up your
chatscript with an editor, you can add those commands to the ATDT string.
Mine looks like this:
# ispnumber
OK-AT-OK ATM0s11=50DT4400071   in my default 'provider' script in
/etc/chatscripts/.

I used pppconfig to generate the original script, then simply added the other
commands after the 'AT' command and before the 'DT' command. I'm still
running potato stable here.

hth

--

Jaye Inabnit\ARS ke6sls/TELE: USA-707-442-6579\/A GNU-Debian linux user
Email: ke6sls@arrl.net WEB: http://www.qsl.net/ke6sls ICQ: 12741145