opinions please: auto-backup to CDRW

Hi,

I've been thinking about something over the last few
days and was wondering if it classifies as "sane" -
opinions please!

I have about 500Mb of variable data (theres only 4
console only users and we arent mp3 freaks!) and a
CDRW.  Would it be worth setting up a script+cron
job to do the following nightly:-

1/   tar+gzip /home AND /etc AND /var/mail AND
     /root/scripts
1.a/ make sure it'll fit on a CD
2/   make an iso file to fit files w/ mkisofs
3/   mount image using loopback
4/   put archives from (1) in image
5/   erase CDRW w/ cdrecord
6/   write image to cdrw w/ cdrecord
7/   clean up.

Do this nightly on a "7 disk cycle manually via changing
the disk before I go to bed and let it do it at 2am" (TM)
methodology ;)  If I left the disk in and/or forgot, it'd
still backup the disk.  I'd do a manual archive CD-R copy
once a week too (this is what I'm doing at the moment).

I (unfortunately) dont know the life cycle of average CDRW
media (Sony to be precise), so I dont know if this is
practical.  It's a bog standard 2.2r3 box btw running kernel
2.2.something (I forget which!)

Any suggestions/comments/flames etc?

Cheers,

- Chris.