Re: Careers in Linux

Dear debian-users:

I am getting tired of messing up with the sound in my machine
Is this a gnu/linux problem, debian problem or a GNOME problem?
I think time goes by and there is no fast clean solutions for soundcards,
which are nowadays standard devices in most computers.
Monitors, mice, keyboards are pretty well recognized, now:
I can listen music in cds, or play mp3 in xmms, but no sound for events,
nor mixer nor recording with grecord...
I used gnome/sawfish and gnome/enlightenment, no way man.
I installed gom (never heard I must use this program to use a mixer)
wait, aumix works but not gmix or xmix, but aumix worked before using gom
I have been reading in helping sites or in this list and found lot's of
complains about problems with audio. Okay most of problems are about the
audio user, which should be asked to be added during installation:
Your basic user cannot access cdroms, audio and printing
Do you want it to be added automatically to this groups?
YES                                 NO

This way we could focus in solving hardware, other configuration problems.
Anyway: distro makers (except mandrake and including gnome distro maker
ximian) should worry a little bit more about sound cards detection and
configuration.

Thankyou for listening, er reading
yours sincerely:

nestor di