Re: Windows-like crashes!

On Sun, Jun 17, 2001 at 09:43:02AM -0400, Andrew Overholt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been successfully using Debian Woody for about 8 months now and I
> am proud to say that it's not my default boot.  Recently I've been trying
> to get XMPS working and after trying to watch a DivX with crappy quality,
> I decided to upgrade to the NVidia drivers from their site.  This went off
> without a hitch and now I get the nice NVidia logo when starting
> Enlightenment.
>
> Last night, I decided to recompile my kernel without SMP support (I saw
> that I had it compiled in and that it would run faster without it.  After
> running make xconfig, I ran make dep modules modules_install.  This
> resulted in an error at the SMP part of the compilation at which point I
> realized that I have some screwed up kernel source 'cause this happens
> every time I try to compile without SMP support.
>
> Oh well, I said, and went to bed.  Today I turned on my machine and the
> X-Server wouldn't connect (text login vs. normal gdm).  I thought this was
> weird so I tryed `startx'.  This also did not work and after a few hours
> of messing around with different things, I recompiled my Nvidia drivers
> and now have working gdm again.
>
> HOWEVER, whenever I try to play an MP3 in XMMS or view a movie in XMPS,
> the computer locks up completely!  I mean, we're talking Windows-like
> jamming (but without the mouse moving) without a Ctrl-Alt-Del response or
> Ctrl-Alt-Backspace either.  I have to hard reset my computer and then I
> get the usual fsck stuff which says there were "detached" inodes (I
> think ... or something like that) which get fixed (after entering the
> root password) and then the cycle repeats itself.
>
> Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
>
> My machine:
>
> Celeron 466
> 224 MB RAM
> 8.4 GB Fujitsu (hda)
> 40 GB Maxtor (hdb -> hdb3 = /)
> Diamond Viper V770 (TNT2)
> Debian Woody
> 2.4.2 Kernel
> XFree86 4.0.2 (with Nvidia server 1.0? from last week)
>
> Thanks very much in advance,
>
> Andrew
>
> --
> Andrew Overholt
> EngSci 0T3
> Junior Bnad Leedur of the Lady Godiva Memorial Bnad
> ERTW

	Hello Andrew,

	I don't know how to help with the lock-up problems. But I will
happily tell you a little about my experience with NVidia drivers. I
have an Asus motherboard with a Via Apollo Pro133A chipset on it. My
friend has an Asus motherboard for AMD processor, and it has a Via KX133
chipset. My motherboard model is P3V4X(Intel Processor) and his is a
K7V. Both systems were purchased and put together at the same point in
time, a little over one year ago.
	We have both been using NVidia drivers
since I think they were version 0.94's, I think, quite a while anyway. At
first, the drivers worked ok for me, but my friend had some problem and
it wasn't working for him. When NVidia upgraded the drivers, they worked
for my friend, but OpenGL wasn't working for me. The next time NVidia
upgraded the drivers, they worked fine for me, but OpenGL wasn't working
for my friend. And it has been like this for everytime NVidia has
released a new version of the driver ever since. One version works fine
for either me or my friend, but not for both of us, and the next version
they release always seems to fix the problem for whichever one of us was
having a problem, but it breaks something for whichever one of us it was
working just fine in the previous version for. In other words, it seems
that one release of the NVidia drvers works fine on my Via Apollo Pro
133A chipset, but is broken on my friends machine which has the KX133
chipset, then the next version they release breaks something on my
machine, but fixes what was previously broken on my friends machine. And
like I said, it has been going back and forth like this since me and my
friend have been using the NVidia drivers. Now, the latest relase of the
drivers 1.0-1251's, work fine for my friend. For me, they are slightly
broken. I have not left them installed long enough to find out just how
broken. But, when I play Unreal Tournament, the textures on the
charcters looked kinda washed out in spots, and those spots also 'flash'
a little, at a pretty consistent and constant rate. Just enough to be
annoying. The biggest concern for me was when I tried to put Unreal
Tournament into 'Windowed' mode, as opposed to full screen mode. When I
tried to do it, the screen is all messed up looking, and my system is
locked up solid. Totally trashed until I hit the 'reset' button. My
friend does not have this problem with the latest drivers. The NVidia
driver 0.9-769's always worked just fine for me, seem to be very stable
on my system. So, I went back to them and now, I'm fine. But I'm sure
the newer drviers are probably more Optimized and have some, ahhh well,
bug-fixes, in them that I am not getting to take advantage of at this
point in time. Oh well, I look forward to the next release of NVidia
drivers, but my friend probably does not. What else can I say... The
moral of the story is, like someone else who posted back on the NVidia
drivers are notoiously buggy, and if the 0.9-769's were working fine for
you prior to this, maybe you should consider going back to them. It's
too bad that the NVidia drivers aren't OpenSource or GPL'd so those bugs
could get fixed a little more quickly!

	My 0.02 cents worth,

	  Jimmy Richards