Re: Windows-like crashes!

On Sun, 17 Jun 2001, Romain Lerallut wrote:

> > HOWEVER, whenever I try to play an MP3 in XMMS or view a movie in XMPS,
> > the computer locks up completely!  I mean, we're talking Windows-like
> > jamming (but without the mouse moving) without a Ctrl-Alt-Del response or
> > Ctrl-Alt-Backspace either.  I have to hard reset my computer and then I
> > get the usual fsck stuff which says there were "detached" inodes (I
> > think ... or something like that) which get fixed (after entering the
> > root password) and then the cycle repeats itself.
>
> Try aviplay instead. I have no problem with it.

> What about sound ? It could also cause problems (including those
> freezes)
> What sound card are you using, with what kind of driver ?

I'm using an SB Live with the kernel module emu10k1.  It's listed in my
/etc/modules.  This never happenecd before (ie. the crasing - usually I'd
just get errors like "Cannot access /dev/dsp" or something like that)
and mpg123 does it too (the crashing)!

I find the general performance of my system is suffering as well from this
recent mysterious problem.

Thanks again,

Andrew

--