Re: Windows-like crashes!

Thus spake Andrew Overholt on Sun, Jun 17, 2001 at 09:43:02AM -0400:
> Hi,

Hi.
<...>
> I decided to upgrade to the NVidia drivers from their site.  This went off
> without a hitch and now I get the nice NVidia logo when starting
> Enlightenment.

Yeah, so do I. I can't figure how to turn it off. ( best guess: can't)

> Last night, I decided to recompile my kernel without SMP support (I saw
> that I had it compiled in and that it would run faster without it.  After
> running make xconfig, I ran make dep modules modules_install.  This
> resulted in an error at the SMP part of the compilation at which point I
> realized that I have some screwed up kernel source 'cause this happens
> every time I try to compile without SMP support.

sorry, no idea there.

> Oh well, I said, and went to bed.  Today I turned on my machine and the
> X-Server wouldn't connect (text login vs. normal gdm).  I thought this was
> weird so I tryed `startx'.  This also did not work and after a few hours
> of messing around with different things, I recompiled my Nvidia drivers
> and now have working gdm again.

For some reason, make modules_install removes the Nvidia driver from
/lib/modules/2.XX.YY/kernel/video/NVdriver

So move the NVdriver module  to /lib/modules/2.XX.YY/nvidia/  or something.
( and modify INSTALLDIR in the Nvidia_kernel Makefile if you want)

> HOWEVER, whenever I try to play an MP3 in XMMS or view a movie in XMPS,
> the computer locks up completely!  I mean, we're talking Windows-like
> jamming (but without the mouse moving) without a Ctrl-Alt-Del response or
> Ctrl-Alt-Backspace either.  I have to hard reset my computer and then I
> get the usual fsck stuff which says there were "detached" inodes (I
> think ... or something like that) which get fixed (after entering the
> root password) and then the cycle repeats itself.

Try aviplay instead. I have no problem with it.

> Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

What about sound ? It could also cause problems (including those
freezes)
What sound card are you using, with what kind of driver ?

Bye,
Romain