Testing: dpkg - multiple istallation attempts

Hi,
I recently upgraded my laptop to Testing. Took a while to remove Ximian
and fix up XFree86 - still have problems with the Touchpad.

Whenever packages are installed (Aptitude, apt-get, dpkg) there is an
attempt to install GMC, Xserver-common and Xserver-xfree86.

Aptitude states that they are held due to broken dependencies but all is
working and I cannot figure out what the problem is.

Anybody got any clues?

TIA,
     Tim Wood