Debian at Flying J

Hey,

My question's near the end of the bottom of this post (it's quite
obviously marked), sorry for not being more to-the-point, but I thought
my fellow debian-folk would be interested by this.

I recently (Three days ago) acquired a job at Tons Services (the
Telecommunications division of Flying J).  In all of the Flying J's,
their are two TV's up to two different computers running Win98.  One of
the TV's displays the Weather, advertisement's, etc., and the other one
displays info about where the truckers can get there next load.

Having two computers in all of the Flying J's is rather expensive, and
the computers kept locking up (*snicker*), so Tons started looking for
alternatives.  They decided that Linux would be a good solution, seeing
as it killed two birds w/ one stone.  They hired a 'Linux expert' to do
this, but he got cut, because the project is a week overdue, and he
couldn't do it.

I got hired on Tuesday, and they let me get to work w/ the computer the
other guy had setup.  It was running Suse, but his config sucked, so I
got rid of it, and loaded Debian on.  This is what I had done initially:

	|----------|                  |----------|
	|	   |  |----------|    |          |
	| Monitor1 |--|	Computer |----|	Monitor2 |
	|	   |  |----------|    |		 |
	|----------|		      |----------|
	Display :0.0		      Display :0.1

This worked great, but they said they needed to be able to do remote
admin. I installed ssh, but they wanted to have X, not the console, and
they had to be able to do it from windoze.  I decided VNC was my answer,
so I came up w/ this crude solution:

	Display :0.0-------X--------Display :0.1
	    |				|
	    |				|
       VNC Viewer		   Vnc Viewer
	    |				|
	    |				|
       VNC Server :1		   Vnc Server :2

Now I just had to start the programs on the VNC Server's instead of the
normal X.  Unfortunately, when the programs would no longer run, because
of the blatant lack of memory (some of these are 486's w/ 32M of RAM).
I had made a swap partition of 128M, but the VNC Server's were growing
to the size of 72M and 45M!  I didn't want to start all over
(re-partitioning), seeing as the project was already a week late, so I
finally remembered about swap files.  I created another 128M swap file,
and now the programs work great.

Everything works great, but right now I'm running this stuff on
Monitors.  I hooked the video cards up to some TV's, and the display
looks fine in the console, but X windows doesn't work w/ it.  I was
wondering if anyone's ever been able to successfully run X on a TV, and
what they had to do to their XF86Config file.

The Video cards are ATI XPert@Play if that matters (they have S-Video
and standard TV outputs).

Thanks,
Cameron Matheson