Re: FAQ? Resync /var/lib/dpkg/status?

> Debian Users;
>
> Hi, I'm new to Debian, I've been using Unix for 18 years.  As such, I
> have a package-management question which may very well be a FAQ.
>
> I don't see any documentation (FAQ or otherwise) of resolving
> package-management issues, so this is my only forum.
>
> I am "Linux debian 2.2.17"
>
> For some reason, installation of "ntp 1:4.0.99g-2potato2" caused
> required removal of g++ and has screwed up my /var/lib/dpkg/status so
> that it thinks I need to install libc6, even though I have libc6, and I
> cannot use D/R/U to bypass the "Suggestions" screen of dselect.

An installation of any package should not screwed up /var/lib/dpkg/status.
Therefore, either there is a bug in the package or that you have done
something wrong. Why are you claiming /var/lib/dpkg/status is in a bad state?
Can it be that you need to upgrade libc6?

> I'm sure I'm missing something.  Is there a way to ask "dpkg" or
> "dselect" **why** it thinks I need to install libc6?  Or how about
> **why** the help-defined key-binding don't allow me to Accept/decline
> "recommendations" ?

I have not used dselect for some time now but as far as I remember it does let
you have a screen showing conflicts and dependencies that are not met.
As for the key-binding, I do not know what machine you are using but on my old
machine it took quite some time for dselect to respond, almost as if nothing
is happening.

You might want to look at
    dpkg --help
and dpkg man page in order to have access and some more understanding to the
internal states and actions when installing a package.