FAQ? Resync /var/lib/dpkg/status?

Debian Users;

Hi, I'm new to Debian, I've been using Unix for 18 years.  As such, I
have a package-management question which may very well be a FAQ.

I don't see any documentation (FAQ or otherwise) of resolving
package-management issues, so this is my only forum.

I am "Linux debian 2.2.17"

For some reason, installation of "ntp 1:4.0.99g-2potato2" caused
required removal of g++ and has screwed up my /var/lib/dpkg/status so
that it thinks I need to install libc6, even though I have libc6, and I
cannot use D/R/U to bypass the "Suggestions" screen of dselect.

I'm sure I'm missing something.  Is there a way to ask "dpkg" or
"dselect" **why** it thinks I need to install libc6?  Or how about
**why** the help-defined key-binding don't allow me to Accept/decline
"recommendations" ?

Allan