Re: Getting Mutt to view jpg files

mdevin@ozemail.com.au wrote on Sat Jun 16, 2001 at 11:08:05PM:
> How do you set up Mutt so that you can view jpg attachments.

You'd better set up mailcap (metamail) correctly so any MUA can
view jpg attachments.

> For some reason, I can view html - (mutt fires up lynx for me) and I
> can view pdf (mutt fires up xpdf for me), but even though I have
> gtksee installed I can't seem to view the jpg attachments.  How do I
> config mutt so that it will view jpg attachments?

mailcap comes with a default entry for this (/etc/mailcap):
image/jpeg; display '%s'; test=test -n "$DISPLAY"

Do if you have Image Magick installed, "display" will be used to display
images. You can, of course, change this to your favorite image viewer.

> I would also like to know how to change it so that mutt fires up
> netscape instead of lynx for the html attachments.

Just the same here ...

> Also, what do people use for viewing jpg attachments?  Should I get gimp
> instead of gtksee? - I don't really intend on creating any jpg files just
> being able to view what people send me in the mail.

IMHO using gimp to just view images is as bad an idea as firing up
Emacs for just editing one command line ;-)

hth,
Matthias
--
Matthias Richter --+- stud. soz. & inf. -+-- http://www.uni-leipzig.de