Re: Getting Mutt to view jpg files

On 06/16/01 15:31:25 +0200, Matthias Richter wrote:

[..]
> You'd better set up mailcap (metamail) correctly so any MUA can
> view jpg attachments.
[..]

I had a similar situation this morning. I discovered that I didn't
have an /etc/mailcap file. I had to install the mime-support package
to get one. I then discovered that it was empty, aside from some
comments. I then needed to run "update-mime" to fill out the
/etc/mailcap file.

Images now are opened with imagemagick.

While it's probably better to set things up manually as you describe
below, I found it quite easy to get set up by doing the above. I just
don't know what was done, but I'm going back in to see what's in the
mailcap file ;-)

[..]
> mailcap comes with a default entry for this (/etc/mailcap):
> image/jpeg; display '%s'; test=test -n "$DISPLAY"
>
> Do if you have Image Magick installed, "display" will be used to display
> images. You can, of course, change this to your favorite image viewer.
[..]
--
Mark Wagnon <mwagnon1@home.com>