Re: Init not behaving the way man says it does?

Craig McLean wrote:

> The man page states that whenever you transition between two run levels, it
> sends all processes not in the new run level the SIGTERM and then SIGKILL
> signals.  Also in the debian case it runs the rc script which does all the K
> entries and all the S entries, in the new runlevels    rc[0-6sS].d
> directory. When I transition from run level [2345] to run level [016sS] this
> is exactly what happens.  However when I try to transition from any of the
> user defined run levels to any of the other user defined run levels (going
> from [2345] to [2345]) it doesn't do what it is supposed to do.

check out the /etc/rc script.  It's what actually runs all of the
scripts in the rc[0-6sS].d directories.  I think it's smart enough to
only start services that are not in the previous run level instead of
killing and restarting everything.  So if you switch from level 2 to 3
only those S scripts is /etc/rc3.d that are not in /etc/rc2.d will be
run.

later,
Andy