Re: Running Windows Apps on Linux

"Ian Perry" <iperry@inertia.com.au> wrote:

> Is it possible to run Microsoft Windows Apps (such as Excel etc) in XWindows
> or is there a utility which allows this ?

1) Wine (http://packages.debian.org/stable/otherosfs/wine.html) is an
   open-source project, to implement the Windows API's in Linux. It is
   still in alpha/beta stage, and not all Windows software packages run
   under Wine yet. Probably popular software like microsoft Office
   will run under wine. Advantages: a) Open source, free, b) Windows
   itself is not needed c) Economical on resources. Disadvantage:
   Still in pre-release stadium. Not all Windows applications can run
   under Wine. I tried Wine, but it cannot yet run the
   software that is important for me (ACT, NeuroModel).

2) VMware (www.VMware.com) implements virtual Intel computers within a
   computer running Linux or Windows. The virtual computers can run
   Windows or other operating systems. Advantages: Seems to work very
   well. Very flexible (capable to run many OS'es at the same time in a
   single computer). Disadvantages: a) Not open-source, b) very
   resource-hungry, c) costs money, d) Microsoft Windows Installation kit
   is necessary and must be installed in the virtual machine. I tried
   VMWare and found that it worked well, but that it was too
   resource-hungy for me.

3) Win4Lin (www.win4lin.com) enables to run Windows 95 or 98 within
   Linux. Advantages: a) Seems to work very well, b) Much more
   economical on resources than VMware is. Disadvantages:
   a) Not open-source, costs money, b) Does not explicitly support
   Debian (but the help-desk is very helpful in solving Debian related
   problems), c) There is a need to patch and recompile the kernel,
   d) Microsoft Windows Installation kit is necessary and must be installed.
   I tried win4lin, found that it worked well, and decided to buy
   it. An important consideration for buying was, that their E-mail
   helpdesk provided prompt and adequate answers on questions.

Regards,

Paul Huygen