Re: IPMasq No Joy

On Wed, Jun 13, 2001 at 08:41:41AM -0700, Stephen Handley wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Already posted about this once and thank you for the responses ...
> unfortunately I'm still stuck.
>
> I have IPMasq installed, and as far as I can tell ipchains and ipmasqadm
> aswell
>
> I can ping IP addresses from both my Debian server and my masqed internal
> machines, however I cannot telnet, ftp or access domain names in my
> browsers.
>
> As far as I have learned debian does not have rc.local, rc.firewall or
> firewall files, but instead uses individual scripts in  /etc/ipmasq/rules to
> set things up. Is this correct? If so then which of these rules should I be
> looking at to try and figure out my problem ... to put it mildly, there's a
> *$!#load of them and I'm a bit lost at where to start.

those rules pretty-much work out-of-the-box ... as long as your
/etc/network/interfaces file is set up properly!

	# /etc/network/interfaces
	iface lo inet loopback

	# internal, private 'net
	iface eth0 inet static
		address 192.168.1.1
		netmask 255.255.0.0
		network 192.168.1.0
		broadcast 192.168.1.255

	# the World At Large
	iface eth1 inet static
		address 12.34.56.78
		netmask 255.255.255.0
		network 12.34.56.0
		broadcast 12.34.56.255
		# static cable modem ip
		gateway 12.34.56.1

check the output from

	ifup -a

and make sure it reflects the Actual State of Affairs.
if not, munge interfaces, and then redo /etc/init.d/networking
(i think that's the voodoo needed) to re-set it all.

and

	/etc/init.d/ipmasq -v

to see the verbose rules for ipmasq.

--