Re: Nvidea Riva TnT and vesafbcon

* Andr? Borman (A.Borman@student.UTwente.NL) spake thusly:

> Hi there,
>

> I read on the net that when a LFB graphics mode is used for the console, a
> nice pinguing logo should be shown at startup.
>
> I compiled VESA support etc. into my kernel and added the VGA=ask to
> lilo.conf and ran lilo (like it said in
> http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Framebuffer-HOWTO.html), but I can't get this
> to work. I'm using kernel 2.4.4. on a pc with an Nvidea Riva TnT w/ 16 Mb
> (Viper 550 compatible?), which I suspect to be VESA 2.0 compliant.
>
> Anybody an idea of what i'm doing wrong?

For one thing, why use VESA framebuffer when there's native riva support?

Compile riva support in the kernel (CONFIG_FB_RIVA=y). Add something like
append="video=riva:1024x768-8@60"
to /etc/lilo.conf and rerun lilo. The 1024x768-8@60 bit is from /etc/fb.modes
(though that is a custom mode, tweaked for my monitor; you'll have to RTF file
and pick a mode that works for you).

Dima
--
E-mail dmaziuk at bmrb dot wisc dot edu (@work) or at crosswinds dot net (@home)