Re: Not Loading Modules

>>>>> "Thomas" == Thomas H George <georgeacct@spininternet.com> writes:

Thomas> I compiled a 2.2.19 kernel with module support and sound
Thomas> modules for my sound card selected, ran make modules and make
Thomas> modules_install, then copied everything in
Thomas> /usr/src.../arch/i386/boot to /boot. The kernel boots and all
Thomas> my regular programs run perfectly but dmseg contains nothing
Thomas> to indicate my sound card was detected and /sbin/lsmod shows
Thomas> nothing loaded. less /proc/pci shows Multimedia audio
Thomas> controller: Ensoniq ES1371 (rev 2)

Normally, you should not copy the files by hand, but run `make bzlilo'
in the kernel source directory. (Or even better, install
kernel-package and have that handle the compilation process for you.)

I suggest you try that.

Next step: go to /etc/modutils and create a file sound. In this file,
put a line:
alias sound esssolo1

Then run update-modules.

Reboot your system, and try playing a sound file.

P.S.: I had the same sound card in my previous laptop, and I never
could make it work under Linux. I hope you have more success.

P.P.S.: To answer a few issues raised in other followups:
The kernel has a database with all known PCI cards which it uses to
populate /proc/pci. This database is independent of the actual device
support compiled in.

--
G. ``Iggy'' Geens - ICQ: #64109250
Home: <ggeens@iname.com> - Work: <ggeens@capgemini.be>